Our ethics application package is based on the USAI Research Framework. As such, it is vital that each application demonstrates that the proposed project adheres to community-driven research as well as the USAI principles (Utility, Self-voicing, Access, and Inter-relationality). Applications should speak to how the proposed research project will follow the USAI Research Framework. The application also provides researchers the opportunity to describe how their proposed project will be community-driven and how the project will safely and respectfully work with Indigenous communities.
Ethics Review Process
Our research team is the primary contact for the OFIFC’s Research Ethics Committee. Our ethics review process begins with a mandatory internal review process where applicants must submit a draft copy of their application. We review the draft application and provide recommendations on where the researcher can clarify and expand on how their proposed research is community-driven and USAI-principled. During the internal review process, applicants are encouraged to review our recommendations, revise their application based on the recommendations, and re-submit their completed application.
Once an application is completed, we complete an Internal Review Form and determine if the application will be assessed as a delegated or full review by our Research Ethics Committee (REC) for approval.
At the REC meeting, committee members discuss each application and recommend one of the following:
- The application is approved with no revisions;
- The application is conditionally approved with revisions that will go back to the REC or OFIFC research team for secondary review;
- The application is not approved until major revisions are made; or
- The application has been declined as the proposed research project does not advance the research priorities of Friendship Centre communities.
- The committee meets several times throughout the year. Deadlines for the Internal Review process and completed applications can be made available upon email request.
To request our ethics application, please contact