Sioux Lookout Friendship Centre logo

The Nishnawbe-Gamik Friendship Centre (NGFC) was incorporated on August 4, 1971, and became a member of the Ontario Federation of Indian Friendship Centres (OFIFC) in 1973.

In the late 1960’s two different groups of people of more than 200 miles, apart came up with the same idea – the Rotary Club in Sioux Lookout and leaders of the First Nations in the north. The Rotarians thought Native people residing in or visiting the town should have a drop-in centre. The Native leaders also wanted to have a place to get together when they were in Sioux Lookout – the transportation, administrative, and social services centre for remote Northwestern Ontario communities.

Native leaders had another concern – that Northern First Nations communities should have a communication system through which they could contact Sioux Lookout and also communicate with each other in their own language. These two groups got together in the summer of 1970 to discuss their mutual interests. Out of that 1970 meeting, the Sioux Lookout Fellowship and Community Centre was born.

Back to Map

Contact Info

52 King Street P.O. Box 1299

Sioux Lookout , Ontario P8T 1B8

Phone: (807) 737-1903

Fax: (807) 737-1805

  Click to Email

  Visit Our Website

Declaration white icon with red feather pen

This Friendship Centre is a signatory of the Declaration of Mutual Commitment and Friendship. Through this Declaration, the Friendship Centre and the local municipal government have demonstrated their commitment to collaborate and improve the wellbeing of their urban Indigenous community members.