The Atikokan Native Friendship Centre was first established in 1983 through the efforts of the Atikokan Métis and Non-status Indian Association. By this time, the Directors and some of the members of the Association were already actively involved in doing volunteer work, such as referral, advocacy and recreation programs out of a member’s home.
On January 10th, 1983, two Aboriginal people were employed (under the umbrella of the United Native Friendship Centre in Fort Frances) through a grant from the Canada Employment Commissions to locate and establish an office (226 O’Brien Street), to provide services to the Aboriginal people, fundraise to cover program costs and to promote their efforts to the community.
The Atikokan Native Friendship Centre was accepted for incorporation as a non-profit, charitable organization on November 4th, 1983. The organization was well on its way to becoming a popular community organization and was able to operate independently.The following year, the Atikokan Native Friendship Centre identified a need to relocate and expand its operations because of an increase in requests for services from the growing membership.
This growing need enabled the Friendship Centre to approach government once again for operating funds.In October 1984, the Atikokan Native Friendship Centre was granted membership with the Ontario Federation of Indigenous Friendship Centres (OFIFC) which continues to this day.
307 - 309 Main Street W. P.O. Box 1510
Atikokan , Ontario P0T 1C0
Phone: (807) 597-1213
Fax: (807) 597-1473