The OFIFC is an advocate for the full integration of Friendship Centres as a part of the decision-making process with local and regional health authorities. For years we have actively requested to the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, an implementation of the Aboriginal Health Council in order to address urban Indigenous health issues on a provincial level. The OFIFC will continue to engage provincial health authorities on important Indigenous health issues such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, nutrition, physical activity and other relevant health concerns to urban Indigenous people.
The OFIFC recognizes the disproportionate impact that mental health and addictions issues are having on the urban Indigenous community. We will continue to support and represent the needs of Friendship Centres and their communities in order to improve the services for urban Indigenous people. We will continue to combat mental health and addictions issues in a proactive manner through the continual development of Friendship Centre priorities and strategic policy documents.
The OFIFC will continue to promote development in all areas of Indigenous health including ensuring availability and access to culturally relevant services.
OFIFC Policy Submissions on Health
- Joint Report on Traditional Health and Healing for the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (May 2017)
- Access to Health Services in Ontario for the Urban Indigenous Population (April 2017)
- Ontario’s Local Health Integration Networks: A Call for Change in Working with the Urban Indigenous Community (April 2017)
- A Response to “Developing Ontario’s Dementia Strategy: A Discussion Paper” (March 2017)
- Mental Health and Addictions Strategy Phase II Engagement: Final Report on Key Themes 2 & 3 Moving Forward & Shared Outcomes (December 2016)
- Submission to the Assembly of First Nations and First Nations and Inuit Health Branch Regarding Non-Insured Health Benefits’ Medical Transportation Benefit (October 2016)
- A Report on Home and Community Care in Ontario – an Urban Indigenous Population Report (July 2016)
- A Response to the Proposed Goals Under the Local Food Act, 2013 (May 2016)
- Submission to Ministry of Health and Long Terms Care's Patients First (April 2016)
- Discussion Paper on Food Security & the Friendship Centres (April 2016)
- Sexual Health and the Urban Indigenous Community- A Position Paper (January 2016)
- Maternal Child Health in the Urban Indigenous Community - A Position Paper (July 2015)
- A Submission to the Ontario Lung Association Regarding Ontario Lung Health Action Plan's Draft Recommendations (June 2015)
- Supporting Two-Spirit and Indigenous LGBTT2QQIA Youth in the Ontario Child Welfare System (February 2015)
- The OFIFC's Indigenous Mental Health Strategy (June 2013)
- Position Paper on Fetal Alchohol Spectrum Disorder (2013)
- Position Paper on Using Harm Reduction to Treat Addictions (2013)
- Good Mind - OFIFC Mental Health Strategy (2006)
- Aboriginal Approaches FASD (2002)
- New Directions: Indigenous Health Policy for Ontario (1994)